feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Nokia 5300

Tag:

This is a dandy little phone. It's a slide phone, with camera and music player. It takes videos. It has bluetooth. And of course a calendar, calculator, memo thingy, games, radio, voice recorder, connects to the web, etc etc. BUT the key thing (aside from its usefulness as an actual telephone) is the music player. The sound quality is really really great. Compared to my husband's ipod Nano, the sound quality is totally comparable.
The computer program by which you put your mp3's onto the phone is a bit clunky. It could be a little more user-friendly. But it wasn't difficult to figure out. The phone itself does not actually play mp3's, but rather converts the mp3's that it finds on your computer to a music format that your phone can play. My phone came with a 200mb memory card which holds about 60 songs. The memory card can be upgraded to 2 GB which will obviously hold a lot more songs.
The camera... well it's a camera and takes kind of okay pictures. It's a 1.3 megapixel camera with zoom function. This is good if you're ever out and about and see something you just really want to snap a picture of. But I wouldn't rely on this camera to take pictures of memorable events that you would want to keep forever. It's not that great. Similarly, the video function is okay, but certainly not anything near as good as a bona fide movie camera. As for the many other functions, (too many to expound on really) yes well they are there and are all user-friendly and good.
Battery life... not too good. At first I only got one day of battery life and I had to recharge. Very disappointing! I went online and found some tips on how to extend the 5300's battery life and they certainly did help. Now I get 3 or 4 days battery life. As for the actual main purpose of this cellphone, which is as a phone: I have no complaints. The sound quality is great and I have had no dropped calls. I mention dropped calls because it seems to be one of those things that concerns people a lot. Frankly, dropped calls have never been a problem for me, ever, which I believe has more to do with the network than the phone itself. I'm with Fido, in Canada. They have a good network, say no more!
I bought the phone new on ebay, unlocked, for $160. In the store around the corner it would have cost $270. Recently at a family birthday party, my father-in-law said to me, "are you taking a picture with your cellphone"? I said yes, and told him it also played music, had a calculator, a video camera, and connected to the internet. "Unbelievable", he said. Yep, the future is here, even better than Get Smart envisioned. Whoo!